Small explosions that are yours to keep


Can't remember when I ate this. But anyway. That's not the point of this post. The point of this post is about banana bread. I had this fantastic idea to make some cocoa-banana bread. SO, Wilson & I did.

Now, I have this obsessive thing I do where I like to substitute ingredients in a recipe for more healthful alternatives. Mostly it's just typical substitutions like flaxseed meal + water for eggs or honey for sugar. What I don't realize is that my substitutions more often than not don't make sense or work in the recipe. They make things drier, wetter, thicker, take longer to bake, and sometimes taste like cardboard.













Looks pretty good, right? Don't be fooled! It was a massive fail on my part because I kept insisting that it hadn't finished baking so we left the banana bread in the oven for longer.. and longer.... and longer.



Until it was a rock solid mass of terrible. The muffins were goners because they were seriously like little boulders. You could knock someone out with them. The loaf was a bit (only a bit) better because the center hadn't completely overbaked yet so some of it was salvageable. I put them in an airtight container afterwards and the water vapor made it a lot softer and more edible. Despite all this, I still thought they were pretty good or at least had potential had I not overbaked it. But I'm not sure if I'm just thinking that to make myself feel better because Wilson still claimed they were awful.





C'est la vie.. Maybe baking is just not my forte.

We also played with Wilson's new close up filters for all these photos. They're pretty awesome. It's like a poor man's macro lens! You like? I like.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gail! I just came across your blog from Amanda's (Seekmyself). Oh my you have gorgeous photos!

Sorry about your cocoa-banana bread. Hopefully next time will turn out moist and perfect! :D

Jessica (Healthy Exposures) said...

I like making substitutions like that, too :) A lot of times it works for the most part - so I bet you're right and had they not been overbaked they'd be delicious :)
And indeed, I do like the close-up lens...and you know I am in awe of your photography. I adore the first picture of the sandwich. I just want to pluck it out of that photo and finish it for you!

Amanda @ . seek . said...

Hi girl! Thanks for the comment you left on my blog because it's how I was able to find yours, and I really like it :) You can bet that I'll be stopping by from now on. Love your photography and your way of writing.

Sorry that your banana bread/muffins didn't work out =\ I have the same problem sometimes when I substitute ingredients, but it's a learning process and you'll get it right next time around :)

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled on your blog, your photos are absolutely gorgeous! Always great to see another BC blogger out there as well - will be back!

Post a Comment

About


Hi, I'm Gail. I'm a 20 year old student in Vancouver, BC. I dance and I take photographs. I have a wishbone where my backbone ought to be.

This is a place for experiments and mistakes and inconsistency and trying to find out who I am and what I want to do. This blog is a collection of bad pictures, great pictures, good luck, real food, run-on sentences, happiness, inspiration, beautiful things, and moments in time.

Subscribe to Blog


Search My Blog


Recent Posts